Sunday, July 10, 2011

Wimbledon on a Whim

Wimbledon. Caroline, Laura, and I went on a whim on Friday 1 (Day 11) just to see if we would be able to get into the grounds. Laura and Caroline aren't huge tennis fans so I was apprehensive about dragging them all the way to Zone 5 in London just hoping we got in.
We rode the tube (probably a 40 minute ride, including the switching of trains) and we got ourselves on the right street and walked until we saw people queueing. We arrived around 2pm and the person working the gate said it would be 2 to 3 hours before we even got onto the grounds. Not to be deterred we braved on to the queue--it was so long!

After a surprisingly quick 1.5 hours--we were in!! I can't tell you how exciting it was to see Wimbledon Stadium. My mother has always been the biggest tennis fan and I felt almost guilty seeing Wimbledon and being part of it. The first thing I did was just stand in front of Centre Court. Then I walked swiftly to the gift shops and tried to find the perfect gifts for my mom. At the time when we arrived Tsonga and Djokovic were playing on Centre Court


We sat with hundreds of other people on the hill outside of Centre Court and watched the match unfold. It was surreal being here--and experiencing all of the reactions in real time. It was amazing to be a part of something like Wimbledon and be in the company of people who are so passionate about the sport. My one hope is that one day I'll be back here with my mom and dad. When I make it big--I promise Centre Court tickets, mom.



-aubrie xx

From London, With Love

No comments:

Post a Comment